Ultrasound & TENS
The Hartland Podiatry Clinic is able to offer Therapeutic Ultrasound and Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) treatment. These specialist treatments can be provided separately or as a combination therapy.
What is Therapeutic Ultrasound?
This form of therapy uses sound waves generated through a transducer head to penetrate soft tissues. During the procedure, the affected area is treated with an ultrasound transducer that has been covered with conducting gel to increase the efficiency of the treatment. The ultrasound waves are applied to an area of injury. The tissues absorb the energy and increases the rate of healing.
What conditions can be treated with Therapeutic Ultrasound?
Ultrasound (high frequency sound waves) is widely used in medicine for the following conditions:
- Ligament sprains
- Muscle strains
- Achilles Tendonitis (and other tendon problems)
- Inflammation and tissue damage associated with Osteo and Rheumatoid arthritis
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Capsulitis (Joint capsule pain and inflammation)
- Bursitis (A bursa is a fluid-filled sac which forms under the skin, usually over the joints
- Wound healing
- Fracture repair
What are the benefits of Ultrasound treatment?
There are four main clinical benefits to Ultrasound treatment:
1) Decrease in pain from the reduction of inflammation
2) Speeding up of the healing process from increased blood flow to the affected area
3) Generation of heat to increase flexibility of soft tissue
4) Stimulate the production of collagen in soft tissues
What is Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)?
TENS is a treatment method targeted at pain relief for both acute and chronic conditions. It is a safe and effective method which produces electrical impulses which can block pain signals going to the spinal cord and brain and stimulate the production of endorphins, which are the body’s natural pain killers.
What conditions can be treated using TENS?
It can be used for a spectrum of medical conditions, but most commonly for those set out in the Ultrasound section above.
What are the benefits of TENS?
TEN’s can be used regularly to provide short to moderate term pain relief. It is particularly useful where patients are unable to take oral pain killers.